Friday, October 8, 2010

beef stew

One of my favorite Betty Crocker recipes is Slow Cooker Burgundy Stew with Herb Dumplings, which is in my cookbook but available to you online. It's one of the first things I learned to cook, way back in 2008 when Edwin and I were living in Andrews. I bought a big piece of meat and tried not to freak out as I cut it up, sawing away the fat and gristle. I know you can buy stew meat, but I'm never really sure where that is (on the cow, I mean. Which parts?) so I always buy the big hunk and butcher it myself.

Magic always happens in a crock pot, and this recipe has never failed me. I usually use the red wine, but this time I used beef broth and couldn't taste a difference. I leave out the canned mushrooms, because those seem odd, but I want to try this with fresh and add them right at the end. This is also the only time I ever make dumplings, so that's fun.
I know this is a rip off of Julia's Beef Bourguignon, but it's seriously so delicious and I'm still intimidated by the real thing. Besides, EDW and I both love this stew, so why mess with a good thing?
I hope you like it. I made it.

1 comment: