Thursday, October 7, 2010

burritos. much better.

I needed to redeem myself in the kitchen after the macaroni and cheese flop, so I made black bean and sweet potato burritos* for dinner on Tuesday.

I sauteed onion and sweet potatoes, and then added black beans, cumin, cinnamon, and salt.
Then I divided the mixture between my tortillas, sprinkled on cheddar cheese, and baked the burritos, covered, for about 25 minutes.
I topped mine with pureed chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, salsa, sour cream and cilantro. EDW had the same minus the chipotles, since he doesn't like that much spice.
These were delicious. I probably should have cooked the sweet potatoes a bit longer, because they were still a little crunchy, but I really didn't mind that at all. I love the contrasting flavors of beans and potatoes, and the sour cream really played off with my spicy chipotle topping. Edwin liked them too, and agreed they were better than the butternut skillet mac, though he still says he likes that dish.
I'm sure I'll make these again and again, what with the cheap and healthy ingredients and easy process and fantastic results. You can too-- either check out Simply in Season, or make your own version.

I hope you like it. I made it.

*Lind, Mary Beth and Cathleen Hockman-Wert. Simply in Season. "Black Bean and Sweet Potato Burritos." p. 259

No comments:

Post a Comment