Thursday, October 21, 2010

chicken pot pie topper

Because of my aversion to recipes using canned cream-of soups, there aren't a lot of options for me in the pot pie variety. I always make Real Simple's chicken and vegetable pot pie, because it uses milk and flour to get that creamy texture.

This week, I wanted to try it with a different crust, so I turned to Food and Whine's topper for lazy chicken pot pie. I liked that it used all whole wheat flour, and I already had what I needed in the pantry.

My pot pie filling wasn't as good as it normally is-- it just wasn't as thick. I think it's because I didn't let the milk simmer long enough, but I was hungry and ready to get the bad boy in the oven.

The dough? Well. Dough is tricky to me. I had a really hard time rolling it out, probably because I don't really have any experience with rolling dough and I never practice. (Maybe we need a dough saga here to get me good? Every week I roll something new?)
So the dough looked wonky, but after 25 minutes, it was golden brown and a little crispy.
And we loved it! I'm not going to lie and say it's better than the frozen pillsbury pie crust, because hello those are amazing, but it was good and absolutely did the trick. I'll do it this way from now on, I think.
I hope you like it. I made it.

1 comment:

  1. Yum. Interestingly, that larger piece of the crust looks like a chicken.

    ReplyDelete