Saturday, October 16, 2010

cousin cookies

I've mentioned my cousins Laura and val before-- and their fantastic little cookbook of favorite recipes-- but I haven't shared their sweet nightly ritual. Laura and val have been together for years and years, and nearly every night they have cookies and milk. Laura usually makes these chocolate chip cookies, and after their kids are in bed, they take some time for themselves. They talk and share a cookie, which to me is the sweetest thing ever.

I made Laura's chocolate chip cookies this weekend, in honor of my college roommate's visit (hey poodle!). Here's the recipe:

Laura's Chocolate Chip Cookies

1/2 c. butter (softened)
3/4- 1 c. light brown sugar (sugar can be adjusted to create a chewier cookie)
1 large egg
1/2 t. vanilla
1/2 t. baking soda
1/2 t. salt
1 c. + 2 T all purpose flour
1 c. semisweet chocolate chunks
1/2 c. chopped walnuts (optional)

Preheat oven to 350. Cream butter and sugar together at high speed. Mix in egg. Add vanilla, soda and salt; mix thoroughly. On low speed, add flour and mix until combined. Stir in chips and nuts.

Drop a tablespoon of dough 1-2 inches apart on buttered baking sheets. Bake, rotating sheets halfway through, 12-14 minutes. Cool on sheets 10 minutes; with a thin metal spatula, transfer to wire racks to cool completely.
What do I not love about these cookies? They are buttery and chewy and so so good. I've made them before and they never cease to amaze me. I always use 3/4 cup sugar. Would upping the sugar make a chewier or crunchier cookie? Anyone know?

This time I used 1/2 cup dark brown sugar before I realized I was supposed to be using light brown. My cookies weren't burnt-- they're just darker than normal because of my sugar.
I hope you like it. I made it.

No comments:

Post a Comment