Thursday, October 28, 2010

Happy Birthday, Stevesie!

Today is my father-in-law's birthday. Besides being an incredibly kind and loving person, Steve is also one of my biggest culinary supporters. For his birthday, I wanted to make him a special cake. I offered carrot cake-- his favorite-- but he opted for a surprise experimental cake. He told me to make any cake I've been wanting to try.

And I did.

I made Joy the Baker's Almost Fudge Gateau yesterday. I've been eyeing the recipe, and while I knew my finished product would never compare with Joy's, I wanted to try.

I rigged a double boiler with my stainless steel mixing bowl and melted down the bittersweet chocolate, sugar, butter, and coffee. Then I mixed in the small amount of flour and egg yolks. Into that went the stiffly beaten whites.

I poured the batter into a 9-inch square springform pan, since my round one is 8 inches and we know what happened with that last time. (This recipe calls for a 9er, too)
I baked my gateau for 35 minutes. I was immediately concerned that I overbaked, and my fears deepened when I removed it from the pan and saw how crumbly the edges were.
I let it cool and then made the rich glaze, which I poured onto the cake. I wanted to use berries but didn't want to gank Joy's presentation, so I did my own thing.
My thing is not as arty or attractive as Joy's, but I think it has a touch of fancy somewhere in there.I considered making some whipped (whupped) cream to go with the cake, because I was concerned about it being too dry, but I decided against it. I just figured if it turned out bad, I'd make Steve a replacement carrot cake next week.

I needn't have worried. The edges of the cake were indeed crumbly, but the inside was every bit as moist and dense as Joy promised. It really was almost fudge, too, and super rich and chocolatey. This is not a cake for people who don't really like chocolate, and I'm not sure I'd recommend it to milk-chocolate-only fans. It's definitely got a dark chocolate vibe going on. We loved it.
This is an accessibly fancy recipe, and I recommend it to anyone who wants to impress new friends or show someone your love. The gateau is special.
I hope you like it. I made it.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks again, Sarah! This cake(?) is incredible. The recipe is absolutely worth repeating. Mary popped up in bed at about 12:15am and uttered, "Oh, my gosh!, I think the cake just kicked in!" (caffeine from chocolate, that is).

    ReplyDelete