Tuesday, October 5, 2010

the muffin chronicles, part XVI

I made muffins on Monday, but my camera battery was dead so I don't have process photes to share. I used a recipe from Simply in Season for Nutty Pumpkin Bread* and poured the batter into muffin cups.

I was concerned at first at the 2 cups of sugar in the recipe (1 cup regular and 1 cup brown) because I thought the muffins might be too sweet. Then I realized the recipe was supposed to make two loaves of bread and there were 3 cups of flour (1 1/2 cups of each all purpose and whole wheat) involved as well, so I didn't cut back. I'm glad I didn't, as these muffins are only slightly sweet and very wholesome tasting.

I was supposed to use a cup of wheat germ, but I didn't have any, so I used wheat bran instead. Both are full of fiber and nutrients, so I figured I'd be okay. I had a choice of using dates or raisins, but I used both. EDW is not a picky eater at all, but he was really not excited about a muffin recipe with dates. I don't understand his date issue since he likes raisins, figs, and other dried fruits, but I have hangups about casseroles (and yet I like things baked together), cream of soups (obviously I like them sometimes), hard boiled eggs and mayonnaise, so I can't really talk.

The recipe said I could make mini muffins out of this and get 48. I just used my regular muffin tin and got 30 muffins. They all went in the freezer after I sampled one with my afternoon tea.
YUM. It's like a health muffin with pumpkin in it. I would love to try it with craisins or figs, just to play around with the flavors.

Edwin took one to work this morning, so we'll see if he liked the dates after all. I know I did.
I hope you like it. I made it.

*Lind, Mary Beth and Cathleen Hockman-Wert. Simply in Season. "Nutty Pumpkin Bread." p. 178.

No comments:

Post a Comment