Thursday, October 14, 2010

pumpkin granola

Have you heard about the pumpkin shortage this year? I've heard rumors of a bad pumpkin crop last year, which resulted in fewer cans of Libby's in grocery stores this year. At first I thought it was a myth. I was in Earthfare and I heard a stockboy saying to his coworker, "Did you know there's a pumpkin shortage? We're the only store in town who has pumpkin right now." To which I smugly replied, "Actually, Wal-Mart has it," because I had just bought a can the day before.

But then the next time I was at Wal-Mart they were out. All out!

So now I'm adding to the hysteria by buying at least a can or two every time I'm at the Wal-Mart-- I'm just so afraid I'll run out and not be able to make all the pumpkiny things I want to this fall! The Libby's can says it'll stay good until 2013, so I figure stocking up won't hurt me.

I made pumpkin granola yesterday morning, which means I now have four 15 oz cans of pumpkin in my pantry and 2 cups leftover in my fridge. And a house that smells like a pumpkin spice candle. And over five cups of delicious pumpkin granola.

I don't have pumpkin pie spice. I just use 2 parts cinnamon to 1 part cloves, allspice, and nutmeg. And my math is never accurate. So for this recipe, which calls for 1 teaspoon of pumpkin pie spice, I used 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon and 1/4 teaspoon each of cloves, allspice, and nutmeg, giving me 1 1/4 teaspoons of spice. Then I added the additional teaspoon of cinnamon and 1/4 teaspoon of nutmeg. It worked. I also used dark brown sugar, because I never use dark brown and I didn't want to discriminate. It made my wet ingredients look extra rich and delicious, if you ask me.
I baked my granola about 20 minutes longer than Maria said to, because it wasn't crisping, and then I added my dried cranberries. I don't have pepitas, so I left them out.
This granola is so, so good. It's like delicious pumpkin pie and wholesome oats are having a party in your mouth, and every once in a while a dried cranberry will make some sassy remark and have all the flavors laughing hysterically.

Make the granola. And don't buy all the pumpkin from the Arden Wal-Mart. I need it.
I hope you like it. I made it.

No comments:

Post a Comment