Tuesday, October 26, 2010

repeaters

Even though 2010's resolution doesn't include trying a new recipe each week (that was so 2009), I don't do a lot of repeating recipes for dinner. I read too many blogs and pull out my cookbooks weekly, and I always have a list going of things I'm dying to try. Meals I do make semi-regularly include chicken pot pie, chili (I like this for beef and I'll be making this for vegetarian from now on), spicy garbanzo bean burritos, and breakfast sandwiches.

Here are two more that I have made, and will continue to make, again and again.

The first is a roasted cherry tomato and ricotta pasta salad from Real Simple. We had our new friends Sally Ann and David over for dinner last Friday, and I made it. I always serve it hot the first time round, and then just eat it as a cold pasta salad for leftovers. It's quick, easy, and delicious. (Obvi I use whole wheat pasta.) I was so excited to have friends over that I forgot to take a phote of my plate, but it included this pasta and an arugula salad with craisins, golden raisins, red onion, a mutsu apple, smoked gouda, and a homemade salad dressing (olive oil+dijon mustard+lemon juice+sugar+salt+pepper). Here's the bottom of the serving bowl, after we'd finished:
I make lentil soup a lot during the cold months. There are a billion recipes for lentil soup out there-- what I like about this one is I always have all the ingredients, it's quick, and it's simple. We had it last night for dinner. I make the croutons if I have bread in the house (any bread will do), and I leave them out if all I have in the bread family are whole wheat wraps and pumpkin muffins.

There's barely any prep required, and it only takes about 20 minutes to simmer down. Don't be put off by the lack of spices. The cayenne and bay leaf really give it plenty of flavor.

Martha says it serves 4 but I can get 6 full bowls out of it.
I hope you like it. I made it.

No comments:

Post a Comment