Wednesday, October 13, 2010

sweet potato quesadillas

I liked the burritos so much from last week that I decided to make sweet potato quesadillas-- the recipe is right next to the one for burritos in my cookbook. I had a choice of cooking and mashing my potatoes or shredding them and cooking them with the garlic and onion. I shredded.
I added black beans to my filling for added protein, and let them warm up with the spices. This spice mixture included oregano, basil, marjoram, cumin, and chili pepper. I spread my quesadillas with pureed chipotle peppers in adobo sauce for a kick (I left EDW's plain).
Filled with sweet potatoes and cheese, in they went to a 400 degree oven. Out came 4 delicious quesadillas.

I garnished with sour cream, salsa, and cilantro, and we dug in. Edwin and I traded triangles with each other so he could try my spicy version, but we traded back after he took a couple bites. Wimp :)
I think I like the flavoring of the burritos better than the quesadillas, but EDW and I both preferred the shredded sweet potato to the chopped. These were quick and satisfying, and I really really really love spicy sweet potatoes.

I hope you like it. I made it.


*Lind, Mary Beth and Cathleen Hockman-Wert. Simply in Season. "Sweet Potato Quesadillas." p. 258

No comments:

Post a Comment