Monday, October 25, 2010

(wild) rice vegetable bake

More brown rice! I made a wild rice vegetable bake* for dinner Sunday night. It calls for wild rice, but I used the brown rice I already had in the pantry. It was pretty easy to put together, but I had a lot of chopping to do: sweet potatoes, butternut squash, onions, mushrooms and carrots (I was supposed to use parsnips but I didn't feel like buying them when carrots would do the trick).

I boiled my brown rice for 10 minutes, then mixed it with sauteed onion and barley. I also threw in some spinach.
On top of that went the chopped vegetables, sprinkled with salt and pepper.
I poured on apple cider and vegetable broth, covered it with tin foil, and baked for an hour.
This smelled so delicious-- and it tasted just as good. The vegetables took on an almost roasted quality, and I loved the rice and barley mixture. It was wonderful hot out of the oven, and I just had it cold for lunch over more fresh spinach. It's great both ways.
I hope you like it. I made it.

*Lind, Mary Beth and Cathleen Hockman-Wert. Simply in Season. "Wild Rice Vegetable Bake." p. 261.

No comments:

Post a Comment