Tuesday, November 2, 2010

butternut black bean chili

I love Lynne Rosetto Kasper. She rarely leads me astray, and I look forward to my Wednesday newsletters. Sometimes Lynne and I are on exactly the same page. She wrote about pumpkin scones 2 weeks ago (hello feed my pumpkin obsession), and I'm dying to try them. Last week she shared a recipe for black bean and butternut chili, and we all know I've been on a major black bean and winter squash kick this fall.

I decided to make it last night. I loved that the butternut, carrots, orange bell pepper and onion are almost steamed in the covered pot before the rest of the ingredes were added. Instead of a whole chipotle pepper in adobo, I just used some of my pureed chipotles. I put in a teaspoon, and I used the full amount of chili powder (3 tablespoons), even though Lynne warned that it could be too spicy.
It wasn't at all. I think it had something to do with the apple cider and the sweetness of the squash-- it just wasn't a spicy chili.
I liked it, and EDW did too, but I have to say, black bean and sweet potato chili is way better. This dish definitely wasn't a failure, but I missed Sara Foster's take on orange meets black chili. Email me if you want a copy of the butternut chili and missed last week's newsletter.
I hope you like it. I made it.

1 comment:

  1. I get to visually witness you concoctions on this blog and typically the next day when Edwin brings it for lunch.

    ReplyDelete