Saturday, November 13, 2010

cauliflower, pasta and cheese gratin

I had some cauliflower in my fridge to use this week, so I went searching for an easy main dish that called for it. Enter cauliflower, pasta and cheese gratin. I'm so glad the recipe name doesn't include the word casserole, because I wouldn't have made it, and then we wouldn't have had a comforting, cheesey meal on Wednesday.

It's similar in prep to my favorite mac and cheese from Sara Foster, in that you make a creamy cheese sauce and toss the rest together. I added spinach, just like my favorite mac and cheese, for color and nutrients. I had bread leftover from our dinner with Aaron and Will (I don't actually always have bread in the house), and it was a multigrain boule with a dark crust. The breadcrumbs weren't burnt, I promise. I skipped the food processor and just diced it up pretty well, so they ended up seeming more like croutons than breadcrumbs on top.
And yum.
Edwin and I really liked this. I think the spinach definitely adds something special. It reheated well and was a hit.
I hope you like it. I made it.

1 comment: