Tuesday, November 9, 2010

pumpkin penne

More pumpkin?

Yes! More pumpkin! I made creamy pumpkin penne with toasted pecans for dinner Saturday night. This is another google buzz find-- thanks, Anne and Jennifer for posting it. And thanks, Jill, for posting about it on FB after you made it. Social networking is amazing. And thanks, Lindsey and Stephen for visiting us this weekend and furthering SILS students' appreciation of this dish.

So this is similar to the pumpkin and sausage pasta I made a while back. I used dairy milk and blended my sauce with my smartstick, instead of using non dairy and a blender. It was thick and creamy and delicious.
I skipped the crispy sage, because it seemed like an unnecessary step to me, and mixed whole wheat penne, fresh sage, and toasted pecans with my sauce. I served it with a simple salad with homemade dressing.
We all really liked the flavor of the sauce, but we think the dish needs a little something more. Next time, I will either add more pecans or cooked turkey sausage. We agreed the dish needs more texture, but it really is an outstanding base sauce. I doubt the crispy sage would have resolved the issue, but I'm not opposed to trying it in the future.
I hope you like it. I made it.

1 comment:

  1. I totally agree. Definitely needed something more. And, I actually wasted the time on the crispy sage and it wasn't really worth it. Bren was thinking that some grated Gruyere would do the trick...

    ReplyDelete