Monday, November 8, 2010

red lentil coconut curry


I made red lentil coconut curry* for dinner on Friday, and I was excited because it called for another new-vegetable-I-don't-hate-after-all: cauliflower. I halved the recipe, because when you're a family of two who eats leftovers of whatever you cook, making something for 8-10 is excessive.

Before cooking, I put my can of coconut milk in the freezer for about 30 minutes. I took the top off and scraped the solidified coconut butter off the top, and used that to sautee my onions and spices. Then I dumped in the rest of the coconut milk and tomato sauce and let that simmer, thicken and darken for about 30 minutes. I added in partially cooked lentils and their cooking water, followed by cauliflower and sweet potatoes. I let those cook, covered, for a bit and then added in spinach (instead of cabbage) and peas.
I wasn't crazy about this. I like my curries spicy, but Edwin generally likes the sweeter coconut kind. He is getting a little sick of lentils, I think, and wasn't blown away by this curry either. I was glad I'd just made half the recipe. We had leftovers last night for dinner, and they reheated well, but I doubt I'll make this again.
I hope you like it. I made it.


*Lind, Mary Beth and Cathleen Hockman-Wert. Simply in Season. "Red Lentil Coconut Curry." p. 206.

2 comments:

  1. That's too bad -- it looks super good. I love spicy curries, too. I've never tried to make curry at home though, I'm daunted by it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know this is a forever old post, but if you ever do make this again, make sure you use actual red lentils (it looks like you have brown). Red lentils break down very easily and will make kind of a thick sauce - it should look more like this one - http://littleferrarokitchen.com/2014/03/red-lentil-coconut-curry-roasted-cauliflower/ They will lose their pink color. I make this recipe every year and I like it very much with the red lentils, but i don't think it would work well with regular brown lentils. :) Just a tip.

    ReplyDelete