Wednesday, November 17, 2010

spicy roasted tomato and red pepper sauce

I made up another recipe this week! I wanted to make a pasta sauce with roasted tomatoes, so I just went for it. Here's my recipe:

Spicy Roasted Tomato and Red Pepper Sauce
(makes enough for 4 servings over pasta)

1 red bell pepper
9 plum tomatoes, halved
4 cloves garlic, peeled
2 T olive oil, divided
14.5 oz crushed tomatoes
1 yellow onion, diced
1/2 t crushed red pepper (start with 1/4 t)
3/4 t dried oregano
salt and pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 400. Use your (clean!) hands to toss plum tomatoes and garlic with 1 T olive oil on a cookie sheet. Rub the red pepper with the oil from your hands. Roast 30-35 minutes, turning the pepper every 10-15 minutes.

Set tomatoes and garlic aside. Put pepper in a ziploc bag for 10-15 minutes. Remove skin and seeds-- don't rinse under water! Chop pepper and add to tomatoes.

In a large pot, saute onion in remaining 1 T olive oil. Add pepper, roasted tomatoes, garlic, and crushed tomatoes. Add spices and heat through.

Puree sauce with immersion blender. Salt and pepper to taste. Serve over pasta.



This was definitely tasty. I started with 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper, but I kicked it up a bit after pureeing. I really like a spicy tomato sauce, and it wasn't too spicy for EDW to enjoy, either.
We liked this a lot, but we think it'd be better with Italian sausage. Edwin just isn't crazy about a smooth pasta sauce, and while I like them, I agree that it needs something else for texture. All in all, though, I'm proud of myself for winging it in the kitchen.
I hope you like it. I made it.

No comments:

Post a Comment