Thursday, November 11, 2010

spicy squash and lentils

We had our friends Aaron and Will over for dinner Tuesday night. Aaron's about to move to Colorado, so we wanted to have a little farewell meal together. I made spicy squash salad with lentils and goat cheese, and hoped it wouldn't be too girly or too veggie for our boy guests.

I roasted a butternut squash, and since I don't have hot smoked paprika, I used a combination of regular paprika, chipotle pepper flakes and cayenne pepper. I would eat butternut squash this way every day I think-- the cumin and pepper and paprika really set it off.
I tossed the squash with cooked lentils (the recipe says it serves 3 with 3/4 a cup of beans, so I added more and started with a whole cup) and goat cheese. I used baby spinach instead of arugula, since that's what I had, and it was perfect.
I scarfed down most of my cheese before I stopped to take a phote of the salad, but it was creamy and delicious. We all added more red wine vinegar at the table, and I am happy to report that the meal was a success. This salad is "deceptively filling," and it's so delicious. I'll make it again.
I hope you like it. I made it.

No comments:

Post a Comment