Wednesday, November 10, 2010

sweet potato soup

I made the best soup of my life on Monday. It's Sara Foster's roasted sweet potato and tomato soup with herbs,* and I really couldn't believe how amazing it was. Here's what our pal Sara says about it: "The sweet potatoes give this soup a rich creaminess, even though it contains no cream or milk. Chilled, it can be served as a starter on a warm Indian summer night."

I started off by roasting 6 sweet potatoes-- I used 3 regular and 3 white sweet potatoes. I bought a bag of mixed sweet potatoes at the farmer's market and I was itching to try the white ones.
I also roasted a pint of cherry tomatoes, even though the recipe called for romas. The romas just weren't looking that hot at the Wal-Mart this weekend. Can we pause for the cause and talk about how incredible tomatoes, balsamic vinegar and garlic smell when they're roasted? Who cares that they look icky?
I cooked a red onion, some carrots and celery in olive oil and butter, then added chicken stock and the potatoes to the pot. Sara Foster says to puree the soup and then add the tomatoes, but I wanted a completely smooth soup so I pureed everything, including the fresh chives, sage and thyme, together.
The result? An incredibly delicate and full flavored soup. It's silky and tastes like there's cream and other fancy ingredients involved, and it goes with a simple salad like nobody's business. Edwin and I loved it, and I saved half for leftovers at lunch this week and froze the rest.
Get to the bookstore. Get to the library. Look up this recipe and make it asap.
I hope you like it. I made it.


*Foster, Sara. Fresh Every Day: More Great Recipes from Foster's Market. "Roasted Sweet Potato and Tomato Soup with Herbs." p47.

No comments:

Post a Comment