Friday, November 26, 2010

Thanksgiving (blog) Parade 2010: the Arnaudins

Okay folks. We're starting the blog parade of food with me, since I have about 80 photes from yesterday. Thanks, photogs, for capturing all the moments! I'm not linking to recipes or giving citations-- it's just too much. If you want a recipe, email me and I'll get it to you. And don't forget to send me photes of your own feast!

I started cooking Wednesday night, and had almost all the prepwork completed by the time EDW's parents, sister, and grandparents arrived Thursday afternoon.

On my menu?

Starters
Spicy Cranberry Salsa and Tortilla Chips
Pistachios

Main Course
Raw Butternut Squash Salad with Fresh Ginger and Raisins
Brussels Sprouts in Brown Butter and Sage
Green Beans with Prosciutto, Pine Nuts and Lemon
Roasted Mashed Sweet Potatoes with Parmesan
Apple, Sausage, and Cornbread Dressing
Roasted Brined Turkey
Caramelized Onion and Rosemary Rolls
Turkey Gravy
Fresh Cranberry Sauce

Dessert
Pumpkin Pie
Chocolate Chess Cake Bars
Whooped Cream

I made everything from scratch except for--

-- the brine.I bought the Williams Sonoma brine jar. I think next year I'm going to make my own brine, but the WS brine has worked for me the past 2 years.

-- the gravy. I bought a jar of Williams Sonoma turkey gravy base and had Elin cook it on the stovetop. I don't eat gravy and last year it was really hard to make. Everyone said the jarred tasted fine, so I'm good with adding that little tradish.

-- the desserts. I asked our guests to take care of the sweet treats, and did they ever. Mama brought the best pumpkin pie I've ever had and these chess bars I couldn't stop eating. Elin whooped the cream by hand, as is our tradition.

My heartfelt thanks go to my famils: to my hissers, for calling me first thing Thursday morning to gobble with me; to my mommers, who chatted with me while I prepped my brussels sprouts; to Elin, who made the gravy and the whooped cream and laughed with me all afternoon; to Mama, who brought the dessert and her sweetness to our group, not to mention her assistance in inserting the meat thermometer; to Steve, who sliced (not carved) our beautiful gobbler; to Papa, who sang us a song at the dinner table about the Salvation army; to Mary, who swept in and helped clean the disaster area after the meal and reassured me that she didn't miss the sweet pecan topped sweet potato casserole at all; and to Edwin, who cleaned our house Thursday morning while I worked in the kitchen, who entertained our guests and was, as always, the best co-host of my life.

I'm going to go ahead and declare the meal to be a wild success. EDW liked the dressing and the sweet potatoes best; my faves were the butternut salad, brussels sprouts and green beans. I liked the cranberries, too. And the pie. And the whooped cream.

And now, here are lots and lots of photes.
I hope you like it. I made it.

Then I ate it.

1 comment:

  1. Looks like a thanks giving dinner that couldn't be beat :-)

    ReplyDelete