Thursday, November 4, 2010

turkey barley soup

I got my flu shot this morning, and I'm having minor flu symptoms tonight. I'm not concerned, and I'm pro-flu-shotting, but I'm really glad I have this turkey barley soup* for leftovers. It's just what I need for my very minor pretend flu recovery.

I made the soup last night, and while it takes a while to finish, it's very low maintenance. Chop up onion, carrots, and celery, and add to a pot with chicken broth, water, barley, and herbs and spices. Simmer for an hour, covered.
Brown ground turkey and add a mixture of soy sauce, ketchup, and spices. Yes. Soy sauce and ketchup. Together, for the soup.
Add the meat to the pot; stir and serve. Done.
This soup is so flavorful and comforting. EDW and I loved it. It beats Progresso or Campbell's any day.
I hope you like it. I made it.

*Lind, Mary Beth and Cathleen Hockman-Wert. Simply in Season. "Turkey Barley Soup." p. 244.

No comments:

Post a Comment