Tuesday, November 30, 2010

turkey chowder

*Reminder: I am still accepting photes and descriptions for the Thanksgiving 2010 (blog) Parade. Send them in, people!*

I keep seeing blog posts about repurposing your Thanksgiving food, but I'm just not that interested. We loved our Thursday feast, and we've been quite happy eating the leftovers as they are. Granted, we sent home 2/3 of our remnants, so it didn't take long for us to finish it off, but our meal was perfectly delicious again and again. The brussels sprouts and green beans were gone by Friday; we finished the pie and butternut salad Saturday; Sunday saw the last of the roasted mashed sweet potatoes, and EDW polished off the last of the dressing yesterday. I used the turkey carcass to make soup Friday, and we ate part of that and froze the rest over the weekend. We still have a little bit of cranberry sauce, which I like on wasa flatbread with laughing cow blue cheese, and a bucket of whooped cream, which goes in our coffee. I had just a little bit of turkey left as of yesterday, so I made white chili* for dinner.

I have a couple recipes for white chili, but I like this one because it's quick. I can't remember what it was like last time, but this time it seemed much more like a chowder than a chili, and EDW and I didn't mind it in the least.

I sauteed my peppers, onion, celery and garlic. Then I heated some milk and chicken broth, and added spices, the veggies, frozen corn, navy beans, and a cup of cooked turkey. Dinner is served.
It's warm, creamy, and filling-- perfect for a rainy winter night, too.
I hope you like it. I made it.


*Lind, Mary Beth and Cathleen Hockman-Wert. Simply in Season. "White Chili." p. 302.

No comments:

Post a Comment