Thursday, December 16, 2010

three pepper rice bowls

First of all, welcome to the new blog! A HUGE thanks goes to Andrea at Slightly Askew Designs for designing my blog makeover. I found Andrea's personal blog a couple years ago when I was just getting into blog stalking. She's designed our Christmas cards the past two years and is wonderful to work with, and I knew I'd love whatever she came up with for my bloggie. And I did. Thank you, Andrea! I think we would be friends in real life. (sidenote: scroll all the way down to see my fun footer)

And now for some food.

I made up another recipe on Tuesday, and I'm calling it three pepper rice bowls. Here's what I did:

Three Pepper Rice Bowls
serves 6

1 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 green bell pepper, chopped
1 jalapeno pepper, minced
1 poblano pepper, finely chopped
1 pint grape tomatoes, halved
1 can black beans, rinsed
2 cups frozen corn
2 teaspoons dried parsley
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 1/2 teaspoons cumin
1 bay leaf
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
ground pepper to taste
chopped cilantro

Sautee onion and garlic in olive oil over medium heat until onion is tender and translucent.

Add peppers, tomatoes, and spices. Cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Add beans and corn, and simmer 10 minutes.

Stir in a generous handful of chopped cilantro.

Serve with spinach and brown rice. Garnish with cheddar cheese and salsa.
This was good. It wasn't blow me away good, but EDW and I liked it well enough. I'd make it again, if only because it's super easy, inexpensive and healthy.

2 comments: