Thursday, January 13, 2011

baked pasta with brussels sprouts, figs, and blue cheese

If there's one thing I like more than soup on a cold winter night, it's baked pasta. Monday night I made baked pasta with brussels sprouts, figs, and blue cheese*, and all was right in the world.

The recipe calls for rigatoni, but I already had penne so I went with that. I boiled the penne for 3 minutes, and then added 2 pounds of brussels sprouts. (Have I mentioned here before how much I love brussels sprouts? I love them sauteed. I love them steamed. I love them roasted. I love them baked with pasta.)

When the veggies and pasta were barely tender, I drained and then tossed them with dried figs, blue cheese and olive oil. Then I baked.
Then we ate, and sighed happily. EDW and I loved this dish. The flavors and textures are out of this world and absolutely perfect. I should have taken a phote of Edwin as he ate-- I swear he looked just like Bob Garner enjoying some legendary meal.
It has reheated nicely as leftovers all week, so that's a plus. I'll definitely make this again. Bittman, Mark. The Food Matters Cookbook. "Baked Rigatoni with Brussels Sprouts, Figs, and Blue Cheese." p. 220.

3 comments:

  1. Wait, aren't brussels sprouts gross? Have I been wrong all this time?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brussels sprouts are amazing. Like tiny cabbages but with better flava and texture. They are one of my favorite plants (after sweet potatoes but maybe before butternut squashes... better than asparagus, depending on the preparation).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chris and I are huge brussels sprouts fans! My favorite is butter and olive oil in a pan with a little garlic. Put them cut in half (cut side down) in the pan, cover, and cook on low for 20 minutes. The bottoms get caramelized and they are oh so yummy!

    ReplyDelete