Tuesday, January 18, 2011

glazed roast of brussels sprouts, onions and chickpeas

The Weeknight Kitchen meal a couple weeks back immediately caught my eye. How could it not when it's roasted brussels sprouts with chickpeas? (Remember if you want this recipe, I can email it to you-- past recipes from Weeknight Kitchen aren't archived on the Splendid Table) So I starred it in my gmail and made it last night.

Officially, this is supposed to be Tamarind-Spiced Glazed Roast of Brussels Sprouts, Onions and Chickpeas. I didn't feel like buying tamarind concentrate, so I used the alternamethod of lime juice and sugar-- I guess this is just glazed roast.

I didn't know you could include greens in a roast, but the recipe called for 1 cup tightly packed endive or spring mix. I went with the spring mix, and combined it with brussels sprouts, a red onion, a can of chickpeas, and a red pepper, along with a blend of cumin, coriander seeds, cilantro, pepper, olive oil, ginger and garlic. Then I squeezed in my lime juice, added the zest, and roasted.
I served this over brown rice with a dollop of greek yogurt. Edwin and I LOVED it. It's so unusual-- the cumin and coriander and lime juice and veggies all play so well together. I would definitely make this again.

No comments:

Post a Comment