Monday, January 17, 2011

granola bars

I made granola bars this morning. There were lots of recipes for me to choose from, but I went with this one because I already had everything I needed.

I toasted my almonds, oats, and coconut (I only had 1/2 cup sliced almonds, so I just went with it). I had some issues with math today and let the mixture toast for 5 minutes too long, which accounts for the slightly darker than light brown color I was going for.
Then I heated honey, vanilla, butter and salt. Did you know honey foams like crazy when heated? I'm not sure I did.
Next I added in wheat germ along with the honey mixture, and to that I stirred in dried cranberries and apricots. I used unsulphured apricots from Trader Joe's, which means they are brown instead of orange I think. They are delish.

Then I pressed the granola into a baking dish and baked.
I must have overbaked, or not scraped enough honey into the mixture, because when it came time to cut them into bars, the granola crumbled. I really tried to get bars out of it, but in the end I crumbled it all up into granola.
The flavor is great-- I love the toasted coconut especially-- but I wish mine had turned out as chewy granola bars. I'll try again another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment