Tuesday, January 4, 2011

noodles with "spicy" vegetable stir-fry

More Mark Bittman!

I love an Asian inspired noodle dish when I make it, but not so much out at restaurants. Lo mein and pad thai always taste too greasy to me, and I'd rather have brown rice. EDW, on the other hand, likes pretty much any noodle dish you put in front of him, so I knew this recipe for Noodles with Spicy Vegetable Stir-Fry* would be a winner.

The recipe calls for a whole mess of vegetables. Suggested are 1 1/2 pounds of eggplant, zucchini, summer squash or a combination, but Mark says in the header that any veggies will do. I started with a pack of already prepped stir-fry vegetables in the produce section (broccoli, carrots, snap peas), and added more snow peas and green beans to get my 1 1/2 pounds in.

I sauteed grated carrot and sliced onion, and then I mixed in lime zest, garlic, and a minced jalapeno. (I seeded the jalapeno, since Edwin would want to eat the dish.) Next came all the veggies, which I stir-fried until tender.
While the vegetables cooked and the soba noodles boiled, I whisked together the sauce. Instead of using peanut butter, I used tahini, and added that to coconut milk, soy sauce, and a little sugar. Just fyi: the sauce was amazing.
I mixed everything together (not in my skillet, which barely contained my vegetables, but in the noodle pot) and served, garnished with lime and cilantro. I added a generous squirt of sriracha to my plate (the phote has my first squirt-- I added more after), because the dish wasn't spicy at all. It wasn't even not spicy to me-- it was not spicy to Edwin, which I can prove with the fact that he added some sriracha to his plate too.
With the added hot sauce, the noodles were amazing. EDW and I took the cold leftovers for lunch and added them to spinach to make a noodle salad, and we were happy.
Bittman, Mark. The Food Matters Cookbook. "Noodles with Spicy Vegetable Stir-Fry." p. 206-207.

1 comment:

  1. I have friends coming round for dinner this weekend I might give this a try looks delicious !

    Wishing you and EDW a Happy New Year !

    ReplyDelete