Thursday, January 20, 2011

tomato-bulgur soup

I made tomato-bulgur soup* for dinner last night. I was especially excited because I bought San Marzano tomatoes for the first time this week. In case you don't read a billion blogs like I do, San Marzano tomatoes are all the rage with food bloggers. I finally splurged and got some, and let me tell you: they really are the best canned tomatoes I've ever tasted.
I sauteed onion, garlic and celery in olive oil, and then I deglazed the pot with white wine. Can I tell you how much I love to deglaze pans? It always makes a nice, satisfying sound and the smell is usually heavenly.
Then I added my chopped tomatoes and let them cook down for a bit. After that I added vegetable broth and bulgur, and let it all simmer for a few minutes.
This was really tasty. I really think I would prefer it if it were pureed before adding the bulgur, but EDW loved the chunks. The flavors were spot on, and it warmed me right up after a long day. I especially like the grains along with the tomatoes, and I'm looking forward to the leftovers.
*Bittman, Mark. The Food Matters Cookbook. "Tomato-Bulgur Soup." p. 102-3.

1 comment:

  1. I read your post yesterday and decided to make this soup last night--delish! I did take your suggestion and pureed most of the soup before adding the bulgar. It totally hit the spot on a cold day.

    ReplyDelete