Monday, January 31, 2011

weekend celebrations

When we received money at Christmas this year, Edwin and I decided to cash all the checks and put them into a date envelope. We made a list of restaurants in Asheville we've been wanting to try or revisist, and we'll go out at least once a month for a date. This weekend, in honor of EDW's birthday, we dipped into our envelope quite a bit and loved every minute of it.

We went out for drinks Friday night, and then had dinner at Table. I had the most amazing sea bass, which was served over sweet potato puree with charbroiled brussels sprouts and crispy duck. EDW had duck confit, which came with a fried duck egg and mushrooms. Both were phenomenal. For dessert, we split a frozen pomegranate souffle. Our waitress put a candle in it and brought us complimentary sparkling rosé. It was one of the best meals I've ever eaten. Ever.
Saturday we went to Starbucks for Edwin's free birthday drink. I had a coupon for a free beverage too, so that was fun. Then we met up with some friends for brunch at Tupelo Honey, one of our favorite favorite Asheville places. I had coffee and an omelet (with pesto, spinach and tomatoes). Edwin had Eggs Betty and a beer flight. All was delicious.
We also went to the movies Saturday afternoon, where I didn't take photes and we drank beer and ate leftover Christmas candy that I keep hidden in the coat closet.
Then Sunday Edwin's parents came over for the birthday meal, which I've already talked about. There was singing. There was laughing. There was candle licking.
All in all, it was a fantastic weekend. I love celebrating Edwin's birthday. It always feels a little like it's my birthday, too, what with all the merry making.

No comments:

Post a Comment