Thursday, February 17, 2011

chunky vegetable lentil soup

It's actually starting to feel like spring might come to Asheville, but I'm pretty much a year-round soup lover, so I made chunky vegetable-lentil soup Tuesday night. Some of the reviews mentioned that the soup was a little on the bland side, so I made some adjustments.

I sauteed all my veggies in olive oil, instead of just the onion and garlic, before adding the lentils, mushrooms, and broth. I also used more like a tablespoon of garlic, because that's how I roll. Instead of 14 ounces of vegetable broth, I used 4 cups broth and 2 cups water. I used 8 ounces white mushrooms, quartered, and 8 ounces sliced baby bellas. I added in my salt and pepper, as well as a generous shake of cayenne pepper. I let the soup simmer while I got the rest of dinner ready.
I was going to serve this with pumpernickel bread and a salad, but my salad greens were all slimy (and they were new! such a bummer) so we went with just the toast. Good thing Edwin and I eat a vegetable heavy diet or I'd have to be concerned about our fiber content at dinner.
This soup was tasty. I didn't have any cabbage, so I skipped that topping. EDW especially liked the mushrooms, and it was nice to have the varying textures floating around. I think I love any lentil soup, so it's hard for me to say how I rank this. I'd say I'll make it again, but I try so many soups it's hard to make that a firm promise.

1 comment: