Saturday, February 26, 2011

curried sweet potato hash

I've decided that for part of my resolution, I am going to choose an ingredient or two and explore it for a whole quarter. What that means is next month's made up recipe will also include sweet potatoes and curry. Then for April, May and June, I'll choose another theme and play with that. We'll see how it goes.

In case you missed it, January's recipe was for curried sweet potato soup with black eyed peas and kale. Here's the original recipe and then the revisited, not smooth version. This month I made curried sweet potato hash. Here it is:

Curried Sweet Potato Hash
serves 4-6

1 cup dried lentils, rinsed and picked over
1 cup brown rice
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1 1/2 teaspoons green curry powder (phuket)
1 1/2 teaspoons mild curry powder
2 teaspoons minced ginger
1 LB sweet potatoes, peeled and grated
1/2 cup golden raisins
1/2 cup vegetable broth
salt and pepper to taste
5 ounces baby spinach
cilantro for garnish

Cook your lentils, according to taste, until done. Cook your brown rice. Chill both.

Saute onion in olive oil over medium heat, until lightly browned and soft. Add garlic, curry powders, and ginger, and cook 1 minute, stirring constantly.

Add sweet potatoes and cook until softened, about 10 minutes.

Add rice, lentils, golden raisins, and vegetable broth, and cook until heated through. Stir in spinach and cook until wilted. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve, garnished with cilantro.
This is basically a stir-fry with Indian flavors, and we loved it. My pan was almost too small, so there were some issues with stirring everything in and not flinging it over the sides, but other than that it came together really easily.

I did cook my rice and lentils earlier in the day, mostly because Mark Bittman says stir-fries go better if you use cold rice. It doesn't clump together the way just cooked rice does when you stir it into your pan. Since I was cooking my rice earlier in the day, I figured I'd go ahead and do the lentils.
I really love a lot about this recipe: it's a one pot meal, it has sweet potatoes, and it has curry. I would have liked it a little spicier, but it was just right for Edwin. If you like things spicy, try using all green curry powder or use some hot curry powder as well.
We both give this a B+. Leftovers were delicious.

1 comment:

  1. I made a version of this tonight and about died. Absolutely delicious! I sort of mixed this recipe with the Mixed Veg Korma one and it was divine. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete