Tuesday, February 8, 2011

ethiopian lentil bowl

It's been a while since I made anything with lentils, and I thought it was high time to remedy that situation. Last night I made Ethiopian Lentil Bowl.* The recipe header said to expect "a dish somewhere between a thick soup and a dahl" and that "it is absolutely delicious, but not for those fearful of garlic."

Well. I'm not afraid of garlic, so I got started. I sauteed 2 finely chopped onions and a head of peeled and pressed garlic (yes, a whole head) in oil. Then I added tomato paste, ground ginger, paprika, salt, pepper and water. I brought it to a boil and added in my lentils. I covered the pot and let the beans cook for about 30 minutes. I stirred in 1/4 cup lemon juice and called it a day. Then I scooped it out-- mine was much more like a dahl that a soup-- and plunked a scoop of brown rice in each bowl.
We liked this. The ginger and garlic work so well with the lemon and tomato flavors. After a couple bites, my brilliant husband said "I bet this would be good with raisins," so we stirred in some raisins and it was totally delicious. Next time I make this I'll add the raisins with the lemon juice, so they heat up and plump a little, but in the meantime we can just add some raisins to the bowl before microwaving the leftovers.
I have no idea what makes this bowl Ethiopian, and it didn't really remind me of the dishes I had at the Ethiopian restaurant, but it's tasty nonetheless.

*Lind, Mary Beth and Cathleen Hockman-Wert. Simply in Season. "Ethiopian Lentil Bowl." p. 299.

No comments:

Post a Comment