Friday, February 25, 2011

garlicky kale, tomatoes and pasta

The other night I made whole grain pasta with garlicky kale and tomatoes. I used closer to a tablespoon of garlic, because I love it and you can't call a recipe garlicky and only include 2 cloves. I also used parmesan for the cheese, because I didn't have romano. Other than that, I followed the recipe pretty closely.

I sauteed my onion and garlic, and then I added in the kale. I poured in a little of the cooking water from the pasta to help the kale steam and shrink a little faster, and then I added my tomatoes. It was all very quick, which is nice on a weeknight.
I added the veggies to my pasta pot. The recipe calls for 6 ounces of spaghetti, but all I had in the pantry was some leftover fancy buckwheat pasta from a gourmet grocery store. It was absolutely not 6 ounces, but Edwin and I liked it as it was. It was almost like a warm salad, with the satisfying crunch of the almonds to keep things interesting.
We really liked our bowls. Since I used less pasta than was called for, I figured we should up our nightly ice cream in take to balance everything out. It was a good call.

No comments:

Post a Comment