Friday, February 11, 2011

the muffin chronicles, part XVII

I haven't done a muffin chronicle lately, but it doesn't mean I haven't been making muffins. I make a batch every couple weeks and freeze them. I've been making a lot of variations of nutty pumpkin muffins and sweet potato banana muffins. This week I made banumpkin bread muffins. You know how I sometimes like to bake vegan-- it makes me feel rebellious.

Ashley's recipe is pretty straight forward. I only made three changes: I used two bananas instead of three; I increased the pumpkin to 1 cup; and I used lemon juice instead of beer. I had enough batter for 12 muffins and a mini-loaf, and I baked them at 350 for about 23 minutes.
What's not to love about this recipe? It's healthy and easy, and I love love love the coconut added into the mix. I had a piece of the loaf with my afternoon tea, and it was absolutely delightful. It's slightly chewier than a normal muffin, which I'm guessing has something to do with the lack of oil and extra pumpkin.
I didn't tell EDW that they were vegan at first. He's not anti-vegan, but I wanted to do a little experiment. He took one to work on Wednesday and I emailed him, asking about the muffins. His response? "pretty neat! the coconut was a nice addition." I agree.

2 comments:

  1. Looks exceptionally appetising at 2am ! Do you ever make English Muffins ?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually found a recipe for English muffins the other day that looked great! If I ever make them, they'll be on the blog for sure.

    ReplyDelete