Sunday, February 27, 2011

the muffin chronicles, part XVIII

I made up 2 recipes this month-- sometimes I'm an overachiever. Here's the second:

Cardamom Pear Muffins

2 cups whole wheat flour
2/3 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 teaspoons ground cardamom
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup applesauce
2 eggs
1 cup buttermilk (or 1 cup milk plus 1 tablespoon lemon juice)
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 cups chopped pears (about 4 medium)

Preheat oven to 350. Spray muffin tins and/or bread pans with nonstick cooking spray. I made 12 muffins and 1 mini loaf.

Sift together flour, brown sugar, baking soda, baking powder, cardamom, cinnamon, and salt.

Whisk together applesauce, eggs, buttermilk, and vanilla.

Make a well in the dry ingredients. Add wet ingredients and stir gently to combine. Fold in pears.

Spoon batter into prepared pans. Bake 20-25 minutes, until muffins spring back when touched and a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Cool on wire racks.
I got the inspiration for these muffins from a dessert in The Food Matters Cookbook that involves pears and cardamom. I love cardamom, so I used my ginger peach muffin recipe as a base and went to town.

The batter tasted amazing, as most batter does to me, and the baking muffins made my house smell incredible.
I loved these. The pear and cardamom are really great together, and EDW has enjoyed taking a muff to work each day. We both give them an A- or B+. I'm not sure what I could do to improve them, but I know there's got to be something. I might try them with slightly less cardamom and some nuts to change up the texture, but really, they are pretty great as is.

No comments:

Post a Comment