Monday, February 7, 2011

(sortof) fancy frittata

One of my favorite things to cook on weeknights is frittatas. They're quick, easy, and delicious. Last week I sortof made up a frittata, although I'm hesitant to say I really made it up. I used such a common mixture of vegetables it seems silly to say I invented it, but here's what I did:

Mushroom Spinach Frittata

6 egg whites
1 egg
2 cups spinach, chopped
1/2 cup red onion, sliced
1 t olive oil
2 garlic cloves, minced
8 oz sliced mushrooms
1/4 cup feta, crumbled

Preheat oven to 350. In a non-stick frying pan, heat 1 teaspoon olive oil. When it's hot, add onions and saute until softened. Add mushrooms and garlic, and saute until softened. (Also, don't worry that Julia Child is rolling over in her grave because you're crowding the mushrooms. Just go with it.) Add in the spinach, and cook until it's wilted. Whisk together the egg whites and egg, along with a pinch of salt, and add to pan. Sprinkle feta over the frittata, and cook on the stove, 5-6 minutes until it's partially set. Put pan in oven and let bake for 10-15 minutes until the top is brown.
I've decided to start giving my recipes a letter grade instead of a 1-10. I give this frittata a C. It's perfectly adequate, filling, and nutritious, but it's not really that creative or interesting. EDW gave it a B, but he really likes egg dishes. The method for the frittata can be adapted with any ingredients you have on hand, which is nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment