Monday, February 14, 2011

what's not to love?

I love love. I love food. Valentine's Day baked goods are naturally one of my favorite.things.ever. If you've been with me a while, you'll remember that I've adopted my cousin Laura's Valentine's Day tradition of making oatmeal cookie hearts.

This year, I decided to try using some almond flour in the recipe. My almond flour bag promised me moister, more delicious cookies if I substituted up to half the amount of regular flour with almond flour. So I did. Instead of 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour, I used 1 cup almond flour and 1 1/2 cups all purpose.

And they were scrumptious.

These oatmeal cookie hearts are so so special. You can make them year-round, if you like, and make other shapes. Or you can celebrate love all the time and stick with the hearts.
Instead of making little cookie cakes like I normally do, I made individually iced hearts. I sprinkled half the hearts with coconut and left the rest plain. EDW and I are 100% convinced that the cookies are better with the coconut, but not everyone likes coconut. (How do people not love coconut? And onions? And garlic? And brussels sprouts? I just don't understand. I won't judge them today, though, because I want to be all about love. I hope you still love me even though I hate mayonnaise and hard boiled eggs.)
I sent some cookies to my in-laws and to Edwin's coworkers, and I took some in to my work, too.

I also made graham cracker toffee. When I made it in August, I thought it'd be wonderful to try the recipe with semi-sweet chocolate chips instead of the pecans. So I did. And wow. I couldn't pack these up fast enough. Little squares of butter-laden graham crackers kept finding their way to my mouth. Heaven.
I hope you have a happy Valentine's day. Even if you don't have a sweetheart, I know somebody loves you. Be your best self and share a cookie with the people you love today. Do it every day, actually. And send me one? xoxo

1 comment: