Sunday, March 27, 2011

curried rice salad

Here's the last in the curry and sweet potatoes recipe installment:

Curried Rice Salad
serves 4-6

for the salad:
1 1/4 cup dried chickpeas, rinsed and picked over
1 cup brown rice
1 LB sweet potatoes, chopped
cayenne pepper
extra virgin olive oil
1/2 cup dried cranberries
1/2 cup dried apricots, chopped
1/2 cup thinly sliced red onion
fresh spinach

for the dressing:
1 clove garlic, minced
1 t fresh ginger, minced
juice of 1 lime
2 T white wine vinegar
1 T plus 1 t honey
1.5 t curry powder
1/2 t sea salt
1/4 t fresh ground black pepper
1/4 cup finely chopped cilantro
1 cup greek yogurt

Cook the chickpeas and allow to cool. Cook the rice. In the last 10 minutes of cooking, add the apricots to the rice pot to allow them to plump. Cool the rice. While rice and chickpeas are cooking, preheat the oven to 400. Toss the sweet potatoes with olive oil, cayenne pepper, and salt and pepper to taste. Roast, stirring occasionally, 20-25 minutes. Allow sweet potatoes to cool.

Combine all dressing ingredients in a small bowl.

Toss salad ingredients together in a large bowl and add curry dressing. Serve and enjoy.

I used my favorite wild rice salad with yogurt vinaigrette as inspiration for this meal, and I have to say, my curried version may be even better. I love the different textures in the salad, and the yogurt dressing is phenomenal.
EDW loved it too, though he said he would have liked some chicken thrown in. The salad does have a bit of a curried chicken salad feel to it, and I think grilled chicken would be a nice addition if you're so inclined. Edwin gives this meal an A- and I give it a solid A (no chicken needed for me).
Of my 3 sweet potato and curry dishes, this is definitely our favorite. If you're just now joining me or forgot what the other two were, here's a brief rundown:

Curried Sweet Potato Soup with Kale and Black Eyed Peas
I made it pureed and then I made it chunky. We liked the chunky version better. We were still assigning numbers and have since switched to letter grades. I'm thinking it's a solid B.

Curried Sweet Potato Hash

We really liked this one, and it was featured on Oh She Glows. We gave it a B+.

So far, I'm doing a good job with my resolution to create at least one new recipe a month. Check the fancy created tab to see them all.

I haven't decided what my next quarter's ingredients will be. Any suggestions or requests? I need something with enough versatility to make 3 different recipes, and I'd like it to be semi-seasonal. Be thinking of springtime produce and spice combinations and let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment