Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Ikan Percek (Baked Fish, Malay Style)

I made Ikan Percek (Baked Fish, Malay Style)* for dinner on Sunday. My friend Emmel likes to give me interesting used cookbooks for my birthday, and I found the recipe in a Moosewood cookbook from this year's present. (I've also recieved a 1987 Asheville Junior League cookbook and a collection of Traditional Dutch recipes. So fun.)

To prepare the fish, I rubbed each fillet with a ginger, garlic and onion mixture, and let that sit in the fridge for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, I made the sauce with more ginger, garlic and onion, along with tamarind, coconut milk, and dried hot chilis. Then I covered the fish with the sauce and baked it for about 20 minutes.

The sauce was pretty tasty. The tamarind gave it a tart flavor, but the coconut milk and garlic balanced it nicely. The recipe suggested I serve the fish with rice and spinach raita.** I made the raita by combining finely chopped steamed spinach, yogurt, cumin, salt, and ground coriander. I decided on whole wheat couscous since it's faster than rice, and I stirred in some wilted spinach along with it.
The fish smelled amazing when it came out, but I wasn't very pleased with the meal. Maybe if I had used a different type of fish? There wasn't any one specified, so I went with cod because it's cheap. Maybe I don't like cod? Do I have any readers with Malaysian expertise?
Edwin was happier with the dinner than I was, and he seemed to really like the cod. I'm glad I didn't make a ton of this-- I'm also glad the raita makes so much, because that was delicious. I'm going to dip crudites in it for part of my lunch today and I'm excited.

*The Moosewood Collective. New Recipes from Moosewood Restaurant. "Ikan Percek." p. 177.
**The Moosewood Collective. New Recipes from Moosewood Restaurant. "Spinach Raita." p. 217.

No comments:

Post a Comment