Sunday, March 6, 2011

mixed vegetable korma

I'm in the market for a vegetarian Indian cookbook. Blogfriends, if you know of a great one, please let me know. In the meantime, I've checked one out from the library: Indian Vegetarian Cooking from an American Kitchen. I've only made one recipe from it, but so far so good. I mean SO good.

Last night I made mixed vegetable korma (navarathna korma).* I made some changes and felt confident as I did it, which is a relatively new experience for me. I used to follow recipes exactly, but I am learning to tweak to my own tastes. It makes me excited. The recipe calls for 3 cups of mixed vegetables (cooked to my liking) but I'm pretty sure I doubled that.

I roasted half a head of cauliflower, an orange bell pepper, and the last of some baby carrots I had in the vegetable drawer with a tablespoon of oil and a sprinkling of chili powder and salt.
I sauteed 2 onions in grapeseed oil, and then added garlic and ginger. The recipe calls for 3 chopped tomatoes, but since tomatoes are gross and expensive these days, I just used a 14.5 oz can of chopped tomatoes, juice and all. I added the tomatoes, roasted vegetables, and a little less than 2 cups of cooked chickpeas to the skillet, along with chili powder, garam masala and salt. That mixture looked a little dry to me, so I poured in 1/2 cup vegetable broth, and then I let it simmer for about 15 minutes.
At the end, I stirred in some thawed peas and fresh sugar snap peas. Then I added milk and a little half and half, and let the sauce thicken a bit.
I served this with rice, and it was amazing. I would prefer it much spicier, but it's really a lovely mild and creamy dish. EDW said he could handle a bit more heat, so if I make it again I may try adding some hot peppers or something. Even without the spiciness, Edwin said this is one of the best Indian dishes I have ever made.
I've been looking forward to the leftovers all morning. I thought about having them for breakfast, but I stuck with my bowl of oats. Thanks for the recipe, Vasantha Prasad, preesh.
Prasad, Vasantha. Indian Vegetarian Cooking from an American Kitchen. "Mixed Vegetable Korma (Navarathna Korma)." p. 120-121.

No comments:

Post a Comment