Sunday, March 20, 2011

the muffin chronicles, part XIX

Here's another muffin recipe I made up:

Cherry Almond Muffins
makes 12

1 3/4 cups whole wheat flour
1/4 cup almond meal/flour
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 t salt
3 t baking powder
1 t cinnamon
3 T unsweetened apple sauce
1 egg
1 cup almond milk
1 t vanilla
1 cup frozen cherries, chopped

Preheat oven to 400. Combine dry ingredients and make a well. In another bowl, combine wet ingredients. Add wet ingredes to dry, and stir, being careful not to overmix. Gently fold in cherries. Divide batter evenly in greased muffin tin. Bake 20 minutes. Cool 5 minutes in pan, then remove to wire racks to cool completely.
I know there aren't any almonds in the muffs, but there is almond milk and almond flour, so I'm sticking with the title. As soon as I tasted one of these, I was worried they wouldn't be sweet enough for EDW. (I use unsweetened almond milk in everything-- if you want a sweeter muffin try it with vanilla almond milk or up the sugar). Edwin really liked these, though, even if they aren't very sweet.
I think they're pretty special.

No comments:

Post a Comment