Thursday, March 10, 2011

pasta with cauliflower (and nooch!)

I had some cauliflower to use up on Tuesday so I decided to make pasta with cauliflower.* I halved the recipe, because I only had a little cauliflower and not very much pasta in the pantry. Mark Bittman mentions that you can make any vegetable into a pasta sauce, and I'm in love with the idea:

"To take a couple of not-so-obvious vegetables as examples: Saute parcooked broccoli or cauliflower with garlic and oil, adding a little more water so you can cook it until it becomes really soft. Mash it slightly, then toss it with pasta and a bit more oil. Add cheese or toasted bread crumbs if you like; maybe a pinch of hot red pepper flakes. Voila."*

I boiled my cauliflower and then removed the florets with a slotted spoon. Then I cooked it with some olive oil and garlic, and I mashed. At first, I wasn't sure it was going to do anything good, but after a few minutes, it really did start to come together.
I used the same boiling water to cook the pasta, and tossed that in with the mashed cauliflower, along with some of the cooking water, spinach, salt, and red pepper flakes.
I also wanted to try some nutritional yeast, or nooch as it's being abreved all along the internet. (You know how I like an abreve, and I think calling it nooch is genius). I've been reading about nutritional yeast and I was intrigued, so I picked some up at the Earth Fare the other day. It's cheap, and in the bulk section, and it looks a little like fish food. I sprinkled it on the pasta and stirred before serving.

Okay nooch? Tastes like cheese. The pasta seriously had a delicious cheesy flavor, and I totally see what the big vegan deal is about it. We loved loved loved the pasta with nooch.

We had the pasta with a whole mess of kale, which I sauteed this time in garlic. All in all, it was a fantastic meal. The only downside? Since I was using up ingredes, there weren't any leftovers. Bittman, Mark. How to Cook Everything Vegetarian. "Pasta with Cauliflower." p.452

No comments:

Post a Comment