Friday, March 11, 2011

spicy chipotle pumpkin soup

Sometimes I really like cooking for one. Don't get me wrong-- I love cooking for Edwin, and for family, and for friends, and for random coworkers-- it's just that cooking for yourself can be such a joy.

Like yesterday. It's March. It was raining. It wasn't that cold out or remotely autumnal, but I wanted pumpkin and I wanted it for lunch. So I made up a recipe! It's not part of my curry/sweet potato series, which will be coming in the next week, but it's still a recipe I made up, and I made it up as I went. Here it is:

Spicy Chipotle Pumpkin Soup
Serves 2-4

1 small onion, chopped
1/2 red pepper, seeded and chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
6 baby carrots, chopped
1 T olive oil
2 1/4 cups vegetable broth
1 15 oz can pumpkin puree
2 t pureed chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
1 t sea salt
1/2 t freshly ground black pepper
3/4 t dried rosemary

In a medium sauce pan, heat olive oil over medium heat. Saute onion until it is soft and translucent. Add pepper, garlic, and carrots, and saute until softened. Add vegetable broth and bring to a simmer. Simmer gently for 15 minutes. Stir in pumpkin, chipotle peppers, salt, pepper, and rosemary. Bring back to a simmer. Puree soup with an immersion blender, and adjust seasonings to taste.
About the recipe: I used Sara Foster's chipotle butternut soup as inspiration for the flavors, but I went with what I had for the ingredients and measurements and made it vegan (her recipe includes butter and I think chicken broth). The 6 baby carrots were totally arbitrary-- I just happened to have 6 baby carrots in the fridge. You can adjust the spiciness of the soup, but I'm not sure how many peppers are in 2 teaspoons of pureed chipotles. I've mentioned before that when I need a chipotle pepper for a recipe, I use it and then puree the rest of the can, along with the adobo sauce, and keep it in the fridge for a really hot salsa. I didn't use 2 1/4 cups vegetable broth-- I had 1 1/4 cup in the fridge, so I started there and added water until it looked like it was the right amount, which ended up being another cup. 2 1/4 cups liquid made a thick, creamy soup. If you use all broth, you may need less salt.
When I first tasted the soup, I wasn't sure it was hot enough for me. As I kept eating, though, the heat slowly crept up on me and I loved it. I'm not even going to encourage EDW to try it-- I know it'll be too hot for him. All the more for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment