Friday, March 4, 2011

spicy red beans

I had such high hopes for spicy red beans, Indian style.* The recipe's notes really made me think this would be an Arnaudin favorite: "The spicy combination of beans and tomato sauce will remind you of chili, only with a twist."

I started by sauteeing lots of spices in grape seed oil: garlic, ginger, turmeric, fennel seeds, cinnamon, cardamom, turmeric, and a bay leaf. That smelled fantastic, and then I added in a can of chopped tomatoes. I let it simmer for a bit, and then added in a pound of cooked kidney beans with some of their cooking liquid. I let that cook down a bit and then it was ready to eat.
I was dissapointed. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't particularly good, either. I thought it was way overspiced-- the cardamom completely overpowered everything else. EDW liked it more than I did, and I did eat more for leftovers. I had the leftovers with a dollop of greek yogurt, and that helped a bit, but really I'm glad this is out of my fridge now. If I make it again, I'll decrease the cardamom and ginger for sure. Bittman, Mark. How to Cook Everything Vegetarian. "Spicy Red Beans, Indian Style." p. 593.

No comments:

Post a Comment