Wednesday, March 9, 2011

sweet potato quinoa cakes

I'm on a baked burger/cake roll this week-- Monday night I made sweet potato quinoa cakes.

These require a bit of prep, so I cooked my quinoa and wild rice on Sunday afternoon and just chilled it until after work Monday. Then all I had to do was steam my sweet potatoes and get these in the oven. With the cooked grains, it only took me about 40 minutes total.

Remember how I couldn't stop eating the falafel burger batter? Yeah, that happened here too.
I made 16 cakes, and served them alongside cooked kale. (I just heated a bit of olive oil and added the kale, about 1/2 cup water, some lemon juice, salt, and red pepper flakes. Then I cooked it until tender).
EDW had two cakes, but I only wanted one. While they were cooking, I couldn't resist having a falafel burger as a little appetizer. Because the falafel burgers are so packed with fiber and protein, I wasn't exactly famished 10 minutes later.

Edwin said this is one of the most interesting looking things I've cooked, and I agree. There's something about the dark wild rice and red quinoa in a cake-- you just don't see that every day.
We were big fans of these. I think there's a little too much sage for my taste, so I'll probably reduce it to 2 teaspoons next time. EDW wondered if decreasing the rice would be a good thing too, since it does kindof overpower the cakes themselves. I bet you could use this recipe as a template, and try it with pumpkin or butternut squash in the fall. All in all, I'm pleased to have the leftovers.

No comments:

Post a Comment