Friday, March 18, 2011

veggie burritos

I made this vegetarian taco filling for dinner this week, and you should too.

I pretty much followed the recipe, except I used a whole red pepper instead of half and added 1/2 teaspoon of kosher salt along with the rest of the spices. After I sauteed my onion, pepper, and mushrooms, I added the lentils, broth, carrots, celery and spices and let them simmer for about 30 minutes. Then all I had to do was transfer it to the food processor and pulse a couple times, and like magic, I had taco filling.
I decided to make burritos. I used some whole grain tortillas, and I filled them with mild (for EDW) and spicy (for me) extras. Here's mine before the roll-up. It has half a smooshed avocado, spinach, red onion, red cabbage, halved grape tomatoes, chopped jalapeƱo, hot salsa, and taco filling. EDW's was the same sans avocado and with medium salsa. I rolled them up and we were ready to eat.
My burrito skills aren't really that exceptional, and this was a very messy meal. If I'd put less in my burritos or used larger tortillas, I'm thinking my lack of burrito rolling experience wouldn't be an issue. Regardless, these were incredible.
Edwin and I really couldn't get over how good the bean filling was, and I'll definitely be making it again. We've been using the leftovers this week for taco salad lunches. Think everything in the burrito over a mess of salad greens. Delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment