Tuesday, April 12, 2011

asparagus soup

Sunday night I made creamy asparagus soup for dinner, and while my photes aren't nearly as appealing as Sommer's, this soup was goooood.

We all know by now that EDW prefers a chunky soup, and I promised him earlier in the day that I'd at least see what I could work out to make the soup not completely smooth. Unfortunately, asparagus stalks plus vegetable broth (I made mine vegetarian) plus navy beans plus onions looks absolutely unappetizing. There was no way around the cuisinart smart stick on this one, so I blended it to green perfection.
I know. I know. This is not pretty. My crummy lighting and lazy staging are a problem. But the taste? We loved it. The yogurt gives the soup a great creamy flavor and I love the slow, gentle heat from the cayenne pepper (I used 3 small pinches). I especially like that there are protein rich beans thrown in to the mix-- it's like a wonderful nutritious secret!
Like most soup, this tasted even better when we reheated it for lunch the next day. I tried a spoonful cold, just to check-- it's not a soup that's good cold. You want it hot, so save it for a cool spring evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment