Saturday, April 30, 2011

chopped salad with thai flavors

Tuesday night I made Chopped Salad with Thai Flavors,* and I added some things to make it a main dish. I'm loving these main dish, practically no cook salads lately, and EDW helped me with the prep work on this one.

While I chopped a carrot, yellow pepper, snow peas, radishes, and cabbage, EDW cooked some soba noodles and edamame. I whisked together some fish sauce, lime juice, vegetable oil and a jalapeƱo, and then I chopped up 1/4 cup fresh basil and 1/4 cup fresh mint. Once the noodles and beans were cooked and cooled, I tossed them with the vegetables, along with some bean sprouts, peanuts, and the dressing. The fresh herbs rounded out the whole thing, and I had a mound of vegetables just waiting to be gobbled.

We were supposed to let the salad sit for a while to let the flavors meld, but we were ready to eat so we just dug in. It was delicious and fresh, and I loved the pop of lime in the dressing. The noodles are hiding under all the veggies in this phote, but they were lovely with the edamame. While we enjoyed it Tuesday night, the salad was really more spectacular the next day as leftovers.
Bittman, Mark. The Food Matters Cookbook. "Chopped Salad with Thai Flavors." p. 152.

No comments:

Post a Comment