Wednesday, April 20, 2011

cilantro lime spelt berry salad

I've been wanting to try spelt berries for a while now, and this cilantro lime spelt berry salad seemed like a great place to start. Also, I'd like one of each of the other high protein salads featured on that post, please. Thanks in advance.

I cooked a pound of black beans earlier in the day (I rarely use canned beans anymore. Dried are cheaper and almost as easy. I cook them, then divide into 2 cup portions-- roughly the amount in a can-- and refrigerate or freeze until I need them) and made the spelt berries in the afternoon.

Does anyone know why they are called spelt berries when they're grains? I get that they're like wheat berries, but I'm unclear why those are called berries as well.

I didn't have green onions, so I left those out. Grape tomatoes were on sale this week, so I used about 3/4 pint of those in place of a whole tomato. Instead of using balsamic vinegar in the dressing, I went with white wine vinegar. I stirred everything together and plopped it onto a bed of spinach.
This was delightful. EDW and I loved the flavors, and the spelt berries really do have a nice chewy bite to them. One thing I've learned about Angela over at Oh She Glows: girlfriends loves her varying textures. The salad is chewy and crunchy and crisp and soft. I'd make this again.

No comments:

Post a Comment