Tuesday, April 26, 2011

coconut lime macaroons

For our Easter dessert, I made coconut lime macaroons, combining Mark Bittman's basic macaroon recipe with Two Peas and Their Pod's coconut lime variation. I used Mark Bittman's recipe as a base because I didn't have sweetened condensed milk in the house. I mixed my egg whites, sugar, coconut (I used sweetened, not unsweetened) 2 tablespoons of lime juice and zest, vanilla and salt, and formed the dough into balls.

This was my first time with macaroons, and I didn't realize how difficult it'd be to shape the cookies. I'm thinking the added lime juice to Mark Bittman's recipe interfered with the dry to wet ratio, because after trying to for 2 or 3 cookies, I realized I needed more coconut. I probably added about a half to a full cup of coconut to my bowl in the end-- I just kept adding until the dough was solid enough to stick together. These are messy messy, but not really difficult in terms of technical skill.

I baked mine for 15 minutes and then let them cool. They were really sticky, even once they had cooled, so I decided not to dunk them into the melted white chocolate and went for a more rustic drizzled look. Drizzling, in this particular case, was definitely rustic, though I'm sure there are instances when drizzling creates quite the fancy effect.
We ate these for dessert after lunch, and wow. I have always loved macaroons, but I'm not sure I've ever had a homemade macaroon before. The cookies are phenomenal-- sweet, chewy, sticky, and full of lovely coconut goodness. My only complaint is I wish the lime had been a bit more of a star ingredient. We could both taste the hint of citrus, but I would have preferred these with more lime flavor. I will absolutely make macaroons again, for anyone who isn't a weirdo and anti-coconut (I know you're out there, and I love you, but seriously people? How can you not love coconut?).

No comments:

Post a Comment