Sunday, April 10, 2011

pasta with tomatoes, tuna, and capers

We've been eating really simple meals lately. This weekend, I made breakfast quesadillas (scrambled eggs plus whatever fillings you have, toasted in an ezekial wrap) one night and a made up pasta bean thing last night (pasta with a sauce of olive oil, grape tomatoes, navy beans, garlic, and basil-- amazing). I feel like I'm finally getting my stride in the kitchen and I'm becoming more and more comfortable throwing things together. When I make up recipes and post them on the blog, I do a lot of prep work, thinking about measurements and flavors ahead of time. This weekend, though, it was all on the fly. Color me excited!

I did make a delicious and simple Mark Bittman pasta last week: pasta with tomatoes, tuna, and capers.* I had everything I needed in the pantry, so I went to town.

I heated some olive oil and sauteed an onion until it was soft, and then I added a can of whole tomatoes. I let that cook down until it was saucy, and then I added a can of tuna and some capers. I tossed the pasta with the sauce, along with some white wine and red pepper flakes, added a bunch of fresh basil, and called it a day.
I was really impressed with how flavorful this was. EDW and I were incredibly satisfied with this meal, and I'll definitely make it again. Considering the fact that I almost always have all of the ingredients (fresh basil is the only one I may have to run out for), it's an easy keeper.
Bittman, Mark. The Food Matters Cookbook. "Pasta with Tomatoes, Tuna, and Capers." p. 232.

No comments:

Post a Comment