Sunday, April 24, 2011

quick-braised vegetables, thai style

I made quick-braised vegetables, Thai style* for dinner Friday night, and since it's Mark Bittman and he always gives variations, I added and substituted lots. Here's what Mr. Bittman says about this recipe: "Half stir-fry, half braise, this quick, thick stew can be varied in a number of ways, all delicious. If you like Thai-style curries, this is for you." Sold.

The base recipe calls for eggplant, zucchini, and summer squash, but I used broccoli and snow peas instead. I started out by sauteeing a sliced onion in some oil, and then I added in a lot of garlic, a minced jalapeño (half seeded, half not-- EDW's palate is getting bolder!), and some lime zest. Next I stirred in some snow peas, followed by some parboiled broccoli. To that I added pressed tofu (not in the base recipe, but one of the add-ons, and I wanted this to be a main not a side) and a can of coconut milk. I let the mixture simmer for about 5 minutes, until it was slightly thickened.At this point you're supposed to add soy sauce or fishless fish sauce, but we're not actually vegetarians and I like fish sauce, so I just stirred in the real anchovy based deal. Because I used quicker cooking veggies than eggplant, the whole cooking process only took about 10 minutes.
I served this brown rice and a lime wedge. We both added sriracha to our bowls (me more than Edwin, but he still added a good squirt) and tucked in. We liked this quite a bit, and I can see myself making the meal with other vegetables in the future. It reheated well the next night, and I was sad it only made 4 servings.
Bittman, Mark. How to Cook Everything Vegetarian. "Quick-Braised Vegetables, Thai Style." p. 379-80.

No comments:

Post a Comment